Recently a friend of Joshua’s asked him how many celebrities we’ve seen over the years, living in Manhattan.
We started thinking about it.
Then we started writing down names.
Then I decided to add a short description of where the encounter took place.
This is a work in progress. (We’ve lived here a long time…) It is not in chronological order.
1. Ethan Hawke – see regularly in Chelsea.
2. Kyra Sedgwick – seen several times (once sitting in a coffee shop next to us).
3. Kevin Bacon – ditto
4. Tim Robbins – Joshua met him at our store/ saw several times on the street.
5. Susan Sarandon – see regularly in Chelsea.
6. Kate Winslet – saw w/ her kids & then husband Sam Raimi.
7. Mariska Hargitay – met and chatted on the subway the weekend before she started filming SVU.
8. Alan Alda – saw once on the street.
9. Harrison Ford – has been in our store. We’ve been in his apartment.
10. Adam Levine – Ben met him backstage at a concert.
11. Kathleen Turner – saw once in Barnes & Noble.
12. Sam Raimi – see above w/ Kate Winslet.
13. Madonna – worked out next to her at Pilates/ spoke briefly.
14. Mary-Louise Parker – ditto Pilates, spoke several times.
15. Tom Cavanagh – His kids were in camp at Kids Club when Maya was a counselor. Saw him regularly that summer.
16. John Turturro – Saw several times at Jerry’s Restaurant in Soho.
17. Whoopi Goldberg – Met her at Barnes & Noble.
18. President Carter – Met him at Barnes & Noble.
19. Ralph Fiennes – Met twice & spoke.
20. Joseph Fiennes – met, got autograph.
21. Willem Dafoe – saw once on the street in the East Village.
22. Joe Mantegna – Saw in a theater (stage, not movie).
23. Carol King – Joshua did a locksmith job for her; she sang for him.
24. Neil Patrick Harris – saw on 66th St. once.
25. Richard Gere – Joshua did a locksmith job for him; mistook him for Patrick Swayze.
26. David Schwimmer – Saw him on 66th St. near our apartment.
27. Sam Neill – Saw on 21st St. him shooting a scene from a TV show.
28. Luke Wilson – was in our store once with a girlfriend.
29. Jodie Foster – came into our store to make keys.
30. David Cone – saw him walking up Broadway.
31. Hideki Matsui – came in to the Pilates studio once.
32. Roger Clemens – Joshua saw him in a bathroom at a movie theater.
33. Peter Berg – Came into our store for keys; chatted at length with Keith.
34. Eddie Izzard – came into our store for keys; spoke to him at some length.
35. Alec Baldwin – Seen several times all over town.
36. Richard Harris – Joshua & I saw him in Rockefeller Plaza in a Christmas crush of people.
37. Jack White – Saw him outside the French cafe on 9th & 21st.
38. Matthew Broderick – Saw him after a performance of “How to Succeed in Business…”
39. Ricky Martin – Joshua saw him coming out of a Broadway theater.
40. President Obama – Went by our building in his limo.
41. President Clinton – Waved to me from his car while President.
42. Philip Seymour Hoffman – Seen on Greenwich Avenue.
43. Julianne Moore – Seen repeatedly in the Village.
44. Selma Blair – Sat next to her at Serendipity Restaurant.
45. Lynn Redgrave – Gave her and her assistant directions at 3rd & 28th St.
46. Kate Hudson – Installed locks in her townhouse.
47. Joan Rivers – went to her apartment on a locksmith job. Spoke with her briefly.
48. Pep Guardiola – Seen by Joshua riding the uptown “C” train with his family.
49. Dianne Wiest – Seen several times all over town.
50. Hugh Jackman – Seen & spoken to at the CMOM; his son & Maya (then both 3 yrs old) were playing together .
51. Deborah Furness – See above – Hugh Jackman (she is his wife)
52. Paul Shaffer – saw repeatedly the summer when Ben was 2 at Old John’s Diner.
53. Meg Ryan – filming a scene from “Sleepless in Seattle” outside Tiffanys.
54. Will Smith – walking from his trailer and talking to fans while filming Men In Black II.
55. Bruce Willis – filming a scene from a Die Hard movie at 8th St. & Broadway.
56. Al Pacino – on the set of “Devil’s Advocate”.
57. Adrian Brody – On the set of “Restaurant”.
58. Molly Shannon – When Maya was a toddler she tried to drink Molly’s coffee!
59. Victor Garber – saw him walking toward Union Square on 17th St. – Joshua saw him at the corner of 14th & 7th.
60. Stephen Baldwin – Seen buying fruit at the corner of 14th & 8th.
61. Mark Ruffalo – Joshua saw him on an escalator at Chase Bank.
62. Olympia Dukakis entering our doctor’s waiting room.
63. Michael Richards (Kramer from Seinfeld) taking photos at the Natural History Museum. And I went up and spoke to him!
64. Matt Bomer – Stood behind him at the Natural History Museum while he waited to film a scene from White Collar.
65. Tim Dekay – See Matt Bomer
66. Jerry Orbach – walking down 23rd St. after filming a scene for Law & Order.
67. Cicely Tyson – Walking down 72nd St.
68. Terence Mann – is uncle to a friend of ours. Sat at a birthday party and chatted.
69. Donald Trump – bumped into my friend Elyse on Madison Ave.
70. John McEnroe – Driving in a car next to the taxi Joshua was riding in.
71. Patrick McEnroe – Installed locks in his house.
72. Spike Lee – Ordered window gates from our store; Joshua spoke to him on the phone.
73. Jerry Garfunkel – Was a regular in our 1st store (Art Garfunkel’s brother).
74. Julia Ormond – We did a job for her (her credit card was declined).
75. Ron Rifkin – (played Arvin Sloane in “Alias”) installed locks in his apartment.
To be continued….